There’s a lot to like about the winter season in Maryland. The holidays are here, you’ve probably got some vacation time, and the weather can be pretty. But the weather can also be a nightmare for the unprepared home. Need some pointers to winterize your space this season? Stick with the team at Shanco Companies while we detail some cost and stress-saving winter defense tips!
Need professional help winterizing your home, or looking for experts to do some larger home renovation and update projects? Contact Shanco online now to find out what our team can do for you!
5 Basics Ways to Prepare Your Home for Winter
Winterizing revolves solidly around preparing and protecting against the largest hazards that come along with the season. The goal is to reduce the risks of possible damage while also boosting energy-efficiency when possible. To do these we recommend:
- Winterizing your windows. Window kits are extremely cheap and yet very effective at minimizing heat loss in the winter months. Kits range from full plastic shrink sheets to simplistic covers, so you can choose according to what works easiest for you.
- Controlling door drafts. Drafts from entry doors can make your heating work far too hard, so seal any cracks with caulk and ensure the base of the door gets fitted with a draft stopper if there’s a gap down there.
- Preparing your HVAC system. Get your home heating equipment serviced by your trusted HVAC contractor to save on energy or fuel costs and to ensure you don’t get stuck with a midnight breakdown.
- Insulating your pipes. Exposed pipes are very vulnerable when the temperature starts dropping, and you do not want to be dealing with a burst pipe this year! Foam pipe insulators are a cheap and quick way to protect against any frozen pipe issues you might have.
- Clearing your gutters. Be sure to clear your gutters of any obstructions and clean them thoroughly. This will keep flow healthy and drastically reduce the risks of ice dams forming along the gutters and roof.
3 Winter Proofing Investments to Consider
More advanced options can provide you with considerably more benefits, but since these require contracted work and a potential moderate investment, we figured they belong in their own bracket.
- Get insulation inspected/add insulation. Many homes in our area are actually under insulated. That means you’re paying more for heating, getting less return, and opening vital home equipment like pipes up to potential cold air damage.
- Install storm windows and doors. Storm windows and storm doors add a barrier against cold wind and weather, protecting your home and helping you seal conditioned air in.
- Find out more about roof ventilation. Poor roof ventilation is the leading cause of ice dams, which are a potentially very costly problem to have. Most professionally installed roofs will be well enough, but if yours was installed a few years back now is the time to find out if your roof is ready to take on the cold.
Home Services with Shanco in Maryland
We hope you have an excellent, safe holiday season this year! If you need help winterizing your home, or you are looking for home service experts to help you get ready for the weather, call Shanco at 240-252-7817 or contact us online!