It’s officially summer—which means long, lazy days at the pool and weekend getaways to the beach. Unfortunately, it also means severe thunderstorms. Summer storms can wreak havoc on your home, especially if you aren’t prepared.
So, how can you prepare for storms and prevent damage to your home?
How to Protect Your Home from Storm Damage
The bad news is it’s not always possible to completely avoid damage. But there are some things you can do to prepare:
- Replace old, damaged, or missing roof shingles
- Make sure your gutters are in proper working order to prevent basement flooding and water damage problems
- Install a sump pump in the basement to prevent flooding
- Install storm shutters over exposed windows, especially when there is a tornado warning
- Keep trees, shrubs, and bushes neatly trimmed so there are no dead branches
- Get your garage door inspected to ensure it’s in good shape
While these are all great ways to make sure your home stays as protected as possible from storm damage, there is one more important thing you can—and should—do.
One of the best things you can do to prepare for summer storms is to have a reliable company to call should your home experience any damage. If you live in Maryland, Washington, DC, or Northern Virginia, have the phone number for Shanco Companies handy—we are the only name you need to know! We offer home damage repair and replacement services for:
For nearly 25 years, the Shanco team has been providing top-notch services for local homeowners and look forward to helping you with your exterior home needs as well.
Our number is 301-208-0848, and we can be reached online as well. Contact us to come out and repair or replace old roofing, siding, windows, or gutters before the first bad summer storm—or keep us in mind if your home experiences damage later on down the road!