When to Replace Gutters
How do your gutters look? Are they sagging or clogged? Just don’t look good anymore? It may be time to start thinking about gutter replacement!
When it comes to extending the lifespan of your roof, gutters are absolutely essential—you need to take care of them to ensure your roof will last as long as possible without any problems. And an important part of taking care of them includes replacement when necessary.
Do You Need to Replace Your Gutters?
Having a local company come out and inspect your gutters is the best way to see if you need new gutters (professionals will be able to tell you what the problem is and recommend repair or full replacement if necessary), but it’s a good idea to perform some quick inspections on your own.
Look out for:
- Gutters that are “slouching” or uneven
- Gutters or downspouts that are loose or detached
- Gutters or downspouts that are peeling or flaking
- Rust or cracks on the gutters or downspouts
- Water pooling on the ground near the downspouts
- Clogs or overflowing water in the gutters
- Rotting or peeling paint on the exterior walls
- Leaking or flooding basement
Basically, if your gutters don’t pass the “eye test,” it could indicate a serious problem that needs to be taken care of right away. But not all signs are obvious by just looking at your gutters! There are a couple of other things to keep in mind as well:
Repairs & Age
If your repairs are getting more frequent or increasingly expensive, it’s probably a wiser investment—and better for the durability and integrity of your roof and home’s foundation—to replace your gutters.
Something else to keep in mind is the age of your gutters. If they are more than 20 – 25 years old, they may not be working as well as they used to. Although you may want to just repair your gutters and get another few years out of them to save a few bucks, this could end up costing you more later on down the road.
Benefits of Gutter Replacement
New gutters not only look good, but they offer a number of different benefits that go beyond aesthetics. Gutter replacement can help:
- Prevent water damage to your home
- Protect your home’s foundation from leaks, mold growth, and more
- Protect your patio and/or deck from damage
- Eliminate flower bed erosion and other landscaping issues
Your home is probably your single biggest investment—and properly working gutters help protect it and ensure it stays in good condition for as long as possible. If you live in Maryland, Washington, DC, or Northern Virginia and need to replace your gutters, contact Shanco today!